How to Prepare For A Boudoir Shoot?
Ladies, the Valentine’s Day is fast approaching , so today I decided to bring sexy back and tell you how to prepare for a Boudoir shoot. Right now, is actually the perfect time to book a sexy Boudoir shoot to surprise your significant other with breathtaking images for his or her eyes only. However, no matter what time of the year it is- do it any time for your own memory! I promise, that regardless of your insecurities at the moment, 40 years later you will appreciate how gorgeous you were and be so chuffed and proud you decided to capture yourself. Also, for you, blushing brides, it’s an amazing gift for your groom-to-be if you’re headed down the aisle soon! After reading this post you will learn a bit more about how other women in fashion and photography industry, have embraced their beauty, femininity and sexiness in front of the camera!
1. Treat yourself to some beautiful lingerie.
Chances are, you will probably never do anything like this again (although I recommend to make it a yearly practice! :)) so really go, and make an event out of it! Not only will this make your photographs more captivating, but it’ll boost your confidence and your mood, making you look your best.
Remember to try the lingerie on beforehand. We all have experienced that some outfits look gorgeous on the hanger only, but might not be the most flattering for our body. The opposite is also true, though! So, choose a day, take your best friend, and pick and try everything in your favourite store! According to the photographer of the sexiest ‘angels’ on the planet, Ben Watts, “Agent Provocateur, Kiki de Montparnasse, or La Perla are great. But so is Victoria’s Secret, because you can afford more pieces and have a variety of looks.” In terms of colours, go for classic black, save the red, leopard print, and white to make this as sexy—and as non-cheesy as possible!
2. The next tip how to prepare for Boudoir shoot is to
find a professional photographer. “It’s all about comfort,” says Watts. “If you feel uncomfortable, you will look uncomfortable.”
Choose someone you trust and feel comfortable in front of and, of course, someone your fiancé won’t get pissed about you posing half-naked in front of. I suggest to hire an outgoing and friendly female photographer (like me!), at least for your first experience in Boudoir Photography.
3. Practice your poses
, even if it feels weird- is the third vital hint when asking how to prepare for Boudoir shoot. Even professional models practice until they find the poses that look best for them. For this section, I have collected some invaluable tips from top models we all adore.
“It’s always good to put one leg in front of the other so you get a feminine curve. That’s my go-to pose,” says Candice Swanepoel. Arch your back, cross your arms, pushing your elbows toward your stomach (!), lean forward.
And if you blow a kiss, “pout your lips but don’t actually blow,” says Lily Aldridge. Blowing strains your face muscles, and the key here is definitely not to look strained! And of course, “leave a little to the imagination and improvisation,” says Watts.
Jessica Hart’s favourite tip on how to prepare for Boudoir shoot is posing on her toes! “It elongates my legs and uses the leg muscles which always looks better…Hips and body should be slightly angled; Arms should be as natural as possible, on a hip maybe or if I’m feeling into it I run my hands through my hair or play with my hair. Just things I would naturally do…I don’t know why but I always put my chin up… something about it makes me feel more confident, superior to the camera.”
A plus-size model Georgina Burke’s “most flattering pose [for my body] is when I stick my buttocks out it elongates the torso, shoulders back to accentuate the breasts and of course sucking your belly in… I find for my legs crossing one leg in front of the other helps to show a more hourglass frame and helps make your legs appear longer.
When using your arms you need to make sure when you hold your body that your hands are on your hips and have your body 3/4 to the camera. My head can be positioned in any way but I always try to have my chin forward so it elongates my neck and my face appears more defined.
We have also curated some stunning boudoir looks on our Pinterest Page you might want to borrow for your special Evelina Photography Boudoir or Evelina Photography Beauty photo session. Now, stand up, get to the mirror and practice the poses below until you find the poses that look best for you!
4. Devour tons of water for luminous skin and skip anything that has even the slightest potential to make you bloat (alcohol, sugar, fries)- is one of the most important, as for me, advices on how to prepare for Boudoir shoot. “When you’re shooting lingerie, you can’t feel superfull because you won’t feel sexy,” says Swanepoel. “I eat a really big breakfast but then wait an hour and a half to digest so when I get on set, I’m good. Another super model Doutzen Kroes also shares that to stay bikini-ready, she sticks to “clean” foods like fish, veggies, and, she says, “lots of protein, salads – no chocolates, no candies.”
To sum up, one week before your shoot, cut out as much unhealthy food as possible, your skin will thank you later! Get as much sleep as you can the night before and eat something light the day of your shoot.
5. Go for the bronze! A spray tan doesn’t just add colour; it hides blemishes and cellulite and makes everything look smoother and more toned. Have a professional come to your house or go to a salon and, strip all your clothes right off! 🙂
If you’re applying it yourself, just like a Victoria’s Secret model Alessandra Ambrosio, she recommends to get the perfect fake tan“I’m loving the Victoria’s Secret Daily Glow Gradual Tan Moisturiser SPF 15. I start using it about a week before a big event. It’s pretty much goof-proof and it has SPF 15 so I look glowy and stay protected from the sun at the same time.”
Also, don’t forget to have a shower, scrub up, wash your hair, do your manicure and pedicure, and use your moisturising body cream before your Boudoir photo shoot.
6. The last tip on how to prepare for boudoir shoot is to simply be natural. Chanel Iman says that scoring a perfect photo is about being “as natural as possible in front of the camera. Just be confident with who you are.” Remember- confidence is sexy at any size! From my own experience I can assure you that the photographer captures the most amazing images of you when you’re not trying, when you’re just acting natural.
Still wondering how to prepare for boudoir shoot or have any more questions? Feel free to email me or comment below!